Thursday, July 22, 2010

Writing and reading with and without a penis

Donald Miller posts an excellent short reflection and an even more excellent Billy Collins poem.  But when it comes to reading the Bible one of the most valuable things you can do (if you happen to be a bloke) is to momentarily remove the "old chap" and try not to be such a myopic male mysogynist dimwit.  I tried it while writing my thesis, with the help of some feminist biblical scholars, and gained what I think was the most exciting insight of the whole project.  I won't tell you about it just yet, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but seriously, try reading scripture from other peoples' perspectives, try changing gender, colour, continent, socio-economic class, age group, etc, and you might be similarly and liberatingly surprised with what results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus treats the Syrophoenecian Woman as a Disciple

[This is an extract from my essay "Breaking Bread: The Power of Hospitality in the Gospel of Mark" which you can read in full and ...