"Reflecting quite common ideas, Soranus [a 1st/2nd C. physician ] tells young women that they must be careful what they look at during sex: women who gazed on monkeys during intercourse have borne children who resembled monkeys. Women should also be sober during coitus, since drunkenness may produce 'strange phantasies' in the mind, which may then imprint themselves on the body of the resulting fetus."
[Source Dale Martin, The Corinthian Body, 26]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Xenos has moved!
I am now blogging at https://jonathanrobinsonblog.wordpress.com hopefully more regularly. I'll delete this site eventually, but it wil...
-
Just been reading a fun little article with an approach to Jesus' preexistence in Mark's Gospel that I haven't come across befor...
-
James McGrath's blog really is a mighty blog. He is single handedly responsible for sending over 80 readers to this weeks carnival. If y...
-
Haere mai, tena koutou katoa. Welcome one and all to New Zealand for the October 2010 Biblical Studies Carnival. Don't worry, sausages...
No comments:
Post a Comment