Thursday, May 17, 2012

God the Gardener

I'm currently enjoying preparing a sermon on Gen 2:4-17, although I have no idea how I am going to cut it down to size, there is just so much theological meat in there. I've been enjoying the company of Bruggemann, Walton, and Hamilton as I go. Hamilton has a very useful section at the end of each chapter where he deals with the chapter's appropriation in the New Testament but with Gen 2 he focuses solely on the issues of female subordination. But to my mind God's depiction as the archetypal gardener in Gen 2:8 (complete with hand crafted garden gnome!) resonates with and informs texts like Luke 13:8-9, 19-19 and John 15:1-8, and what about John 20:15? (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus treats the Syrophoenecian Woman as a Disciple

[This is an extract from my essay "Breaking Bread: The Power of Hospitality in the Gospel of Mark" which you can read in full and ...