Friday, November 24, 2017

How to type Greek accent and breathing in Tyndale unicode keyboard

I love my free Tyndale unicode keyboard for biblical languages and use it for my work. But I have often found it difficult to type an accent and a breathing mark above the same letter. Often I give up and just copy and paste it from elsewhere. Perhaps I have sometimes done it but then I have later forgotten how. Anyway, today I worked it out and I'm writing a blog post to help me remember the trick. Maybe it will be of use to you also?


e.g. ὄνομα or ἔχω
 
For smooth breathing you hold down [right-Alt] and press [ ' ], if you also want an accent press [ / ] while [right-Alt] is still depressed, then release, then type your letter. 

e.g. ὅσπερ or ὕπαγε

For rough breath you hold down [right-Alt] and [Shift] together, press [ ' ] and then while Alt and Shift are still depressed press [ / ], then release, then type you letter.

NB. nothing will appear until you type the letter. 

It is not as fiddly as it sounds, once you get used to it, and if you can remember what to do when you need to!

You're welcome :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus treats the Syrophoenecian Woman as a Disciple

[This is an extract from my essay "Breaking Bread: The Power of Hospitality in the Gospel of Mark" which you can read in full and ...